- 2 packets of filo pastry
- 800g crushed cashews
- 500 g unsalted butter
- 2 tblsp rose water
- 2 tblsp icing sugar
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 100 g crushed pistachios (to garnish)
- Place the cashews in a bowl with the icing sugar, orange blossom water, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Get a tray at least 50mm deep and the size of the filo sheets. Grease the tray with some butter.
- Layer 1 packet of the filo pastry in the try, brushing every few layers with butter.
- Layer the cashew mixture evenly on top.
- Place the other packet of filo pastry on top. There is no need to butter the layers.
- Make diagonal cuts about 3.5cm apart through to the bottom of the tray, cut on the diagonal the other way to create a diamond shape.
- Brush the remaining butter over the top layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 220 degrees then reduce the temperature to 180 degrees and bake for approximately 20 – 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Prepare the syrup. Heat the sugar, water and lemon in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved then boil for 5 minutes. Add orange blossom water.
- Once the baclava is golden, remove from the oven and re-cut the diamond shapes – then pour the syrup over the top.
- Return to the oven for a couple of minutes. Remove, sprinkle with the crushed pistachios.
- Leave to cool. Serve. Store in an air tight container for up to 3 weeks.